Tuesday, December 20, 2011

English Toffee

I made this the other night.  I tried a couple of recipes but felt this one was the best.  I have been snacking on it all day!  I also packed some up in the gift to our mail man with some white chocolate pretzels.  Hopefully it is a hit!

This is another Paula Dean recipe - but I changed a couple of things.

Ingredients

  • 14 tablespoons (1 stick, plus 6 tablespoons) butter (**I used 2 sticks of butter - I know who uses more butter than Paula Dean!!**)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Dash salt
  • 1 (6-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips or thin chocolate bars

Directions

Generously butter a cookie sheet. (I used Pam and it worked fine)
Put butter, sugar, and water in a heavy pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Bring to a bubbling boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove spoon from pan, and cook to a very brittle stage (300 degrees to 310 degrees F on a candy thermometer) ( I did 300 degrees and it was perfect). Or, make a cold water test: candy will separate into hard, brittle threads when dropped in cold water. Remove from heat and add nuts to mixture ( I added nuts at the end to the top of the chocolate after it is spread). Add vanilla and salt. Pour onto prepared cookie sheet and spread to 1/4-inch thickness. Cool slightly, top with chocolate chips or chocolate bars, and spread as it melts. Here is where I add the pecan pieces. Cool completely and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.  The next day seems to be when it is the best - if you keep it in an airtight container it will stay good for a week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment